Those who are old enough will remember quadraphonic recordings from the 1970s. Their popularity was short-lived, but multichannel music is available in several digital formats and is better than ever. The three formats are multichannel SACD, DVD-Audio and DTS CDs. All three offer excellent surround sound music in a variety of music genres. SACD discs require a player that is compatible with SACD discs and some discs are two-channel only. DVD-Audio also requires a compatible DVD player. DTS CDs are the best recordings in my opinion but are only available online. Here are some of the best sounding multichannel music recordings:
- Steely Dan: Gaucho (DTS CD and SACD)
- Linda Ronstadt: What's New (DVD-Audio)
- James Taylor: Hourglass (SACD)
- Alan Parsons: On Air (DTS CD)
- Steely Dan: Nightfly (DVD-Audio)
- DTS Classical Collection - multiple discs (DTS CD)
These are just a few of the great multichannel recordings on disc. You may have to search online to find some of the them, but the audio experience is well worth the effort!