1. Computing

Sad News for Readers of About.com's Stereos Site

We're very sorry to report that Gary Altunian, Guide to Stereos, passed away late last night. We will miss his kind spirit and the great work he did for About.com. Our thoughts are with Gary's loved ones and friends during this difficult time.

If you have any unfinished business related to Gary's site, please contact the editors at gadgets@about.com.

Comments
March 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(1) Robert Silva says:

As far as my own words go, I will say that Gary was a very kind and generous person. As a consumer electronics journalist, he was always very professional and very knowledgeable in the world of audio, as well as video.

We got together regularly to cover trade shows, such as CES and CEDIA, and we also collaborated on some product reviews. In the few short years I have known him, he became a great friend and fantastic colleague. I will miss him greatly, both personally and professionally.

Robert Silva
hometheater.guide@about.com

March 17, 2011 at 1:02 am
(2) Christy says:

Gary will be missed! My sympathy goes out to his family.

March 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(3) Robert Silva says:

Here is an obituary that was posted by TWICE (This Week in Consumer Electronics) that provides more information on his life.

Robert Silva

March 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm
(4) Rick Jordan says:

We have known Gary for over 25 years including his time @ Federated and Yamaha. Also we worked with him on certain consulting projects.

My deepest condolences to his family & friends..

March 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(5) Peter Hoagland says:

I had the pleasure of first knowing Gary as a fine journalist and then the privilege of knowing him as a friend.

Without question, Gary was a true professional and took what he did seriously and passionately. Yet he never took himself too seriously and that was his real charm.

I will miss Gary as an industry colleague, working with him on the many wonderful reviews he did for my clients. And I will surely miss his smiling face at trade shows where he was always eager to see and hear the latest.

Most of all, I will miss him greatly as a friend.

Peter Hoagland

March 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(6) Marziah says:

I’m so sorry to hear this. I last saw Gary at CES this year, and he’s always been a valuable colleague. My condolences to his family.

March 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(7) JBevier - Audio Plus Services says:

I’m sorry I only knew Gary for the past two years; it’s obvious from the wonderful words of love and tribute being posted that Gary was that rare combination of consumate professional and warm humanist who neither took himself too seriously, but pursued his craft with passion and integrity. When I spoke with Gary I got the very real sense that he truely listened; he made me feel appreciated and understood. His writings were logical, economical, insightful and had that warm tone of being conversational as if he were writing directly to a single reader. I too Last spoke to Gary face to face during CES, and having known what his previous several months had entailed (Hospitals, treatments and the constant fear he faced being unsure of a hoped for remission) marveled at his cheerful attitude and eagerness to learn about new products and see his friends. I will miss Garys words, that genuine smile, how he made me feel, but mostly I’m sad I wasn’t able to know him for a longer time. Our heartfelt condolences to his family and those he loved and has had to leave behind. May God hold him close in peace and love for all eternity.

March 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm
(8) Ed Jaeger says:

While I’ve only known Gary for 7 years or so, in that time I have truly enjoyed all my interactions with him. He was always honest and fair, and above all a lot of fun to be around. I last say Gary in person at the most recent CES when H came by to listen and talk, and only now do I know what he had been going through. He was cheerful as always, professional, and with that great big smile of his.

He will truly be missed here.