Speaker stands serve many important purposes for bookshelf speakers. They come in a variety of sizes, styles, colors and finishes and should be used whenever possible. This article discusses the benefits of using speaker stands for placing bookshelf speakers and includes suggestions for selecting speakers stands and price comparisons.
Sturdy, well-designed speaker stands place the speaker on a solid platform, which helps achieve the best overall sound quality, especially bass. Speakers placed on a shelf or table often cause the surface to vibrate or resonate thus distorting bass. Solid speaker stands isolate the speaker's vibrations from the floor allowing you to hear the bass from the speaker and not vibrations from a shelf, table or floor.
Most speaker stands place speakers at roughly ear level when seated. This is important because it aligns the woofer(s) and tweeter(s) relative to the ear and achieves the best balance of sound. The high frequencies are often missed when speakers are placed too high or low.
Appearance and Style:
Speaker stands are more than just an accessory, they are a piece of furniture and they help show-off your speakers and integrate them into your living space. Many speakers have attractive real-wood veneers and deep finishes that deserve to be treated as a fine furnishing and stands are the best way to display them.
How to Select Speaker Stands:
- Choose a stand that has a solid feel. A solid stand should have little or no sound when you give it a tap with a knuckle. Heavy stands are often the best and some have a hollow pillar or shaft that can be filled with sand to add weight.
- Select a stand that complements the style, color and appearance of the speakers.
- Make sure the stand is stable and cannot be easily tipped over by small children or pets.
- Use a stand with speaker spikes on the bottom if you have carpeted floors, or pads if you have hardwood or solid floors.
- Choose a stand that places the middle of the speaker at ear level when seated, approximately 22" to 28" in height.
- Check out the selection of speakers stands and compare prices.