A home theater in a box system, also known as a pre-packaged or all in one system, includes everything you need for a stereo or home theater except the television. Most systems have a receiver and DVD player in one component, five speakers for stereo and surround sound and a subwoofer. Is a pre-packaged system right for you? Here are some things to consider before buying.
- A pre-packaged system is a very convenient and affordable way to buy a system.
- The components are matched for performance and there’s no need to individually select speakers, a receiver and a disc player - just add a TV and you have a complete system.
- You can be assured that the manufacturer has selected speakers that are compatible with the receiver.
- A system is easy to setup and most systems come with all of the wires and cables you need, including color-coded wires for easy setup.
- One remote control operates the entire system and can operate the TV with a few simple steps.
- The speakers and components in a system are pre-packaged and in most cases you cannot mix and match, so if the speakers are too large or small or you don’t like the way they look, you have no choice.
- The receiver and disc player are usually one piece and if the disc player needs repair, you have to take the entire component for service, leaving you with no system.
- Generally you can get the best sound quality by selecting the speakers that sound best to you and matching them with a compatible receiver or amplifier.